Is the trombone making a comeback?

 A very common theme I've had on my blogs is music. I can't preface enough how much music has been a part of my life. Whether it's dancing folklore, to playing in the band, to having family members who are musicians, music has always been around me and is a part of who I am as a person. 

When I first started the trombone, I was in the 4th grade. I started for a couple reasons. One big reason was because, at the time, my cousin Gabe played it. We are both very close in age, so we were pretty close at the time (regarding our relationship). I also started playing because around this time we had just moved to Maryland from Kansas City. It was a tough time for me adjusting given I had no family here and was in a place I was completely unaware of. 

The funny thing is that Gabe only played for trombone for a few weeks then quit. I, on the other hand, stuck with it. As time progressed, I got better and better. The real change for me was when I got to middle school and joined the jazz band. We would meet after school from 4pm-5pm. It was a lot of fun; a lot of my friends did it with me as well. 

Via Tenor Gif
High school came around and I just took off as a player. The marching band was a lot of fun, and I made a lot of friends. Jazz band in high school was also a lot of fun, but it was definitely different from marching band. I felt I got better as a player because of jazz band and being in there for all four years of high school. It was something my family always enjoyed watching.

When high school ended, I didn't really stick with it as much as I wanted to. I actually almost got into a jazz band at my school at the time (The University of the District of Columbia), but that didn't really stick with me. I went to one rehearsal, and I just felt overwhelmed. These guys were so good, and I didn't feel I was at their level. I regret not sticking with that because looking back I definitely would have had the time for it during my two years at UDC. 

The last time I really played for a performance was with my uncle's band, Making Movies. They are a Latin Rock group that is based out of Kansas City. My Tio Juan Carlos (on the far left of the photo) is the percussionist (Congas, Timbales, Piano, Bangos). They were visiting Maryland for a tour they were on and played at Strathmore. I played a few songs with them, one of them being one of my all-time favorites, La Murga. This isn't their song; it's a cover from another artist named Willie Colon. He is one of the most well-known and greatest Latin Trombonists in the world. 

I love playing that song with them. What was funny too is that after the set, they were signing autographs and this lady asked me for mine. I had never given one before, so I felt pretty freaking awesome giving one. I told my dad what happened, and he just started laughing. 

Now, I know I really haven't gotten to the point of why I'm writing this yet, but I will now. Long story short, I miss playing. My dad tells me all the time how me misses me playing, and that I was really good at it. I've had family members tell me that too. It just came down to me not feeling like I had enough time to play and dedicate time to it. 

I would love to start playing again. With graduation in a little over a month, I am going to have a lot of time on my hands once May comes and passes. I feel like this is a good opportunity for me to start getting back into it. My dad actually told me there's this lady he met at my sister's soccer practice, and she is a part of a local orchestra in the city I live in. They have all sorts of instruments, and apparently, they are in need of trombone players. This must be a sign. 

I am being a little tongue and cheek, but in all seriousness, I do want to start playing again. I don't want to look and thing, damn, I should have stuck with it. I do plan to get back into it and make it a habit of playing again. Any time I look back on any memories around playing, they are always good memories. I hope to start making more soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Reflection

Dancing boots are back on