Online Personal Branding

 There are quick a number of things anyone should consider when posting things online. As a college student, I've learned more about what potential employers want to see when they search for possible candidates. I've personally never been the one to post stupid things on my social media. I can still be my authentic self, however, and have a good time while maintaining a certain level of professionalism. 

The following 10 tips are ones that I would give when trying to present a certain image online:

1. Never post when you're not sober

2. Don't post stuff that could get you in serious trouble

3. Always use appropriate language in a caption/post

4. Be professional, but also make sure you are yourself 

5. Have content that represents yourself and who you are

6. Try to come off as approachable 

7. Show off your skills or any talents you have

8. Be the bigger person

9. Carry yourself with high regard

10. Don't lose who you and overcompensate with bring professional


With a list like this, I feel like I did the best I could to encapsulate everything I thought should be there. It is hard to try and appease people when you want to seem professional, but it is always important to be yourself. Again, just make sure nothing you post or say on social would garner any negative attention. 

I also think it's important to be yourself online the way you are in person. Online personas can be totally different from the genuine person they are outside of the screen. I guess for me, I want to be honest with myself and know that what people see is what they get. I feel that it would be hard to pretend to be someone you're not, so I just find it better to be consistent in who you are as a person. 


Lastly, your online reputation is important. I wouldn't say if it's the most important thing in the world, but it is important. You want people to like you of course, but it's also good to keep in mind how you view yourself and who you are. If you are proud of who you are and believe what you are doing is good, that should satisfy you. I think having a good reputation to those who know you the best is good, and hopefully that same authentic version of you is shown online as well. That's my view on it. 

All in all, be conscious of your online reputation. We live in a world where everything is on a screen; it is important to carry yourself a certain way to look good. Employers will see stuff like that, and they take note. Try to find that fine line between being yourself but also keeping it professional. That's the best way I can put it. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Reflection

Is the trombone making a comeback?

Dancing boots are back on